Thursday, June 01, 2006

Munmurra Park, The Upper Hunter Valley

Well I finally took the plunge and headed inland to my first host property. The decision to stop being a tourist and start the true adventure was welcome. I wanted to meet and learn about life in Australia. The best way to do that is to live and work with the people of this marvelous country. I couldn't have asked for a better introduction than the one I got @Munmurra Park by my hostess Belinda. Belinda is the proprietor of a 4000 acre beef cattle property. I spent two weeks with her helping with various jobs. The main house was built in the 1920's and completely renovated to include the veranda that essentially encompasses the entire building. Belinda is a horticulturist as you can see by her gardens.




There was quite a lot that we tackled while I was there, from preparing the fruit trees for the cold, planting rose bushes, installing a garden path and gate, and beautifying the approach to the house by removing some weeds and replanted flowering plants along the drive.

Even though that was work, I found it very rewarding. But the most rewarding thing was the relationships that I formed while I was there. So First let me show you two of my new best friends, Toby and Ella:
Toby is being cute! Smile Tobes!
There were are things I chose to do as my daily responsibilities. Those included feeding the chooks (chickens) and gather the eggs. Feed Shorty, that's Riley's calf.











I also took on the responsibility of eating well and making the expressos'. Mind you not every meal looked this pretty. Ok well actually it did, and Belinda's talent in the kitchen was only surpassed by the quality of the food from her garden.








Belinda gave me the opportunity to share a good old southern dish...Fried Green tomatoes! They taste the same Down Under -GOOD. Let me say you can't get very much more South than Australia.


There were quite a few wines I had the opportunity to sample with her. It is safe to safe I have finally developed my red wine pallet. Don't worry, I know this a picture of a white wine. It's pretty though, huh?





Later in my stay I did a bit of painting to hide where Belinda had a Monster of a fireplace removed. This also gave me the opportunity to do a bit of decorating. Following the principles (loosely) of Feng Shui I challenged her Chi and helped it flow and circulate. I also kept with in the guidelines Belinda suggested...This was the reveal-

One afternoon Belinda took me to Koolah Tops National Park. We made it there in the late afternoon just before the sunset. This park is home to a very interesting plant called a Grass Tree. It is also known as a Black Boy. It gets its name Black Boy from its trunk which is fire retardant but does char black. This particular Grass Tree Forest is home to trees they believe are about 600 years old. Once a year they shoot out a spear like flower that seems to appear overnight. On the way back to the car Belinda found a White Cockatoo feather which she gave me. It now proudly hangs off my back pack.

At the top of Koolah Tops is another forest of a type of eucalyptus with tree trunks as white as I have ever seen.

Yet again another glorious Sunset! This one a top the Koolah Tops.

NOW FOR THE PICTURE EVERYONE HAS BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!....

Kangaroos!!! They are cute but in all honesty they are everywhere. Somewhat like alligators in Florida, wildebeest in Africa, and cactus in Arizona.



I have to take a moment and share a painful lesson I realized while posting this blog. Earlier I mentioned the relationships that I formed at
Munmurra Park. When I said that they were the most rewarding aspect of my Journey. The painful lesson is that I never took the opportunity to capture any photos of Riley, Troy, Sonya, Aaron or Barbara. So folks That just means there will be a Munmurra Park 2. I hope each of you know that I really enjoyed your company, your laughter, and your kindness. I hope to see you again soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger מיכאל פוקס said...

nice photostory :)
Have fun in Australia,

3:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home