Sunday, July 16, 2006

NEW ZEALAND!

I made to Auckland New Zealand with just a small two and a half hour delay at customs. I had to relinquish my cockatoo feather. I was given the option to have the New Zealand Government hold it for me until my departure in three months. But I decided the $15 dollar a week holding fee was a bit steep. Besides I hope to see Belinda At Munmurra Park in October. I am confident she will help me locate another one then. I made arrangements to stay with Neil and John on their horse property. Neil picked me up from the airport. Luckily he was patient enough during my hold up in customs. We joked about it as we got to know each other on the drive out of town. He said that as he watched people coming out of the restricted zone he noticed fewer and fewer people. He was beginning to question whether or not he had the right day. Or even if I had made the flight. I on the other hand was worried he had already made the decision to leave. I don't think I have ever been so happy to see my name on a sign someone was holding at the airport. It was all I could to just shake hands and introduce myself. I felt like giving him a great big hug! Apparently there were 5 separate international flights that all arrived within an hour of each other. If you add that amount of congestion and one cockatoo feather you end up were I ended up...The Red Line-Customs. I guess I could have forgotten I was carrying it but that could have caused an issue if I was found out. My conscience took over and I disclosed it. Both New Zealand and Australia have strict guidelines in place to protect the indigenous flora and fauna.
Disease and invasive species are only kept at bay from the efforts at all entry points to each of the countries. I would rather have them incinerate one feather than to have been the cause of some catastrophe. Even if it meant going through The Red Line.
The two photo's on this post were taken by Claudio a fellow HelpXer. I post them with his permission.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home